John S. Cuzzupe, Warden
Warden Cuzzupe retired from the New Jersey State Police at the rank of Captain in 2010 after 26 years of distinguished service. He began his second law enforcement career in the office of Salem County Prosecutor John Lenahan where he was instrumental for creating policing strategies for The Office of Professional Standards. He also is credited with successfully gaining CALEA accreditation for the Salem County Prosecutor’s Office in 2012. In 2013, He was appointed as an Undersheriff by Salem County Sheriff Charles Miller. He was assigned to direct the Salem County Communications Center where he successfully completed the 911 Center renovation project, and the multi-jurisdictional Computer Aided Dispatch project for local law enforcement, fire departments, and emergency medical services. In 2016, He was appointed as Warden at the Salem County Correctional Facility Where he currently directs 143 sworn personnel and 24 civilian employees. He is responsible for a $21 million dollar budget.
The mission of the Salem County Correctional Facility is to safely and securely confine those individuals lawfully committed into the custody of the Sheriff’s Office – Department of Corrections for alleged or adjudicated violations of Local, State or Federal Law.
The incarceration of such individuals is intended to accomplish the following goals:
- To protect society by providing a secure facility for offenders;
- To provide a safe environment for staff and offenders;
- To ensure that basic physical and mental health needs are appropriately addressed;
- To protect the inherent constitutional rights of the offenders;
- To provide trained and qualified staff that treat all offenders with dignity and respect;
- To offer a variety of programs and services to facilitate the successful reintegration of offenders into the community upon their release.
The Salem County Correctional Facility’s established policies and procedures shall serve as the methodology by which the goals of our mission statement are accomplished.